The aluminum oxide grit is one of the most common choices for general-purpose grinding, and is more durable than silicon carbide grit. The belt has an open coat, which resists clogging and promotes flexibility. Open coat abrasives produce a rougher finish when abrading difficult-to-sand materials because the abrasive grains are spaced farther apart than they are on a closed coat product. Cloth backing withstands repeated flexing for maximum contouring to odd shapes and corners, and is more durable and tear-resistant than paper backing. The backing of this belt is made from X-weight cloth backing, which is a flexible and lightweight material that is strong enough to carry coarse grits.
- For high speed sanding and finishing of flat surfaces on wood, plastic, and fiberglass, grinding and finishing of all metals, blending welds and abrasive planing of wood.
- Fiber backing is the strongest and most rigid backing option, and is recommended for aggressive material removal.
- The flexibility or rigidity of the abrasive product is also affected by the choice of backing material (either paper, cloth, or fiber).
- High grit numbers such as 400 are rated as fine and help create a smooth surface finish.
- Material: Aluminum Oxide.
- Size: 3" x 21".
- Grit: 36.