KILZ® PREMIUM is our premier water-based primer that delivers professional results on both interior and exterior surfaces. It blocks light to medium stains and has a thick white finish for high hide.
Blocks out most stains caused by water, tannin, ink, pencil, marker and grease. Mildew resistant coating and a rust inhibitive metal primer
Fast drying. Can be topcoated with latex or oil-based paint
Easy clean up
Interior / Exterior - Water - Based
Size: 5 Gallon
Where to Use :
KILZ® PREMIUM is our premier water-based primer, sealer and stainblocker that can be topcoated with latex or oil-based paint. It has excellent adhesion and provides a mildew resistant finish. It is ideal for use in moisture-prone areas. KILZ PREMIUM blocks most stains caused by water, tannin, ink, pencil, felt marker and grease. Use on interior and exterior surfaces including woodwork, drywall, plaster, paneling, masonry, brick, painted metal and properly prepared glossy surfaces.
Surface Preparation :
- The surface must be clean, free of dust, grease, wax, peeling paint and wallpaper paste. If washing is necessary use a non-soapy detergent or a TSP substitute. Rinse well and allow to dry.
- For maximum adhesion, scrape off loose paint and scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming. On glossy surfaces: scuff sand the surface thoroughly before priming.
- Unpainted, exterior wood exposed to sun and/or moisture longer than 2-4 weeks must be cleaned and sanded before priming.
- Wash the area with a mildew remover, rinse with water and allow to dry before priming.
- KILZ PREMIUM may be used on clean, dry, aged masonry surfaces. New masonry must be allowed to cure (dry) at least 30 days before applying KILZ PREMIUM.
- It is critical to clean smoke damaged surfaces thoroughly before priming. Primary Recommendation: KILZ ORIGINAL or KILZ ODORLESS.
- Eye protection is recommended.
- A small amount of water may be added for spray applications, but do not thin for stainblocking applications.
- Stir thoroughly before and occasionally during use.
- Apply using a brush, roller or sprayer.
- Only apply if surface, air and product temperatures are between 50°-90°F.
- Prime the entire surface to ensure a uniform appearance of the topcoat.
- After priming, test for stain bleed-through by applying the topcoat to a small section. If the stain bleeds through the topcoat, apply a second coat of primer and test again before topcoating the entire area. If bleeding continues, a longer dry time is needed before topcoating.
- Tinting is not recommended for stainblocking applications. KILZ PREMIUM may be tinted with up to 2 ounces of universal colorant per gallon for non-stainblocking projects. Tinting to a lighter shade than the topcoat is recommended.
- Coverage is up to 300 square feet per gallon on porous surfaces; up to 400 square feet per gallon on smooth, nonporous surfaces.
Dry Time :
Dries to the touch in 30 minutes.
Can be recoated or topcoated in one hour with latex or oil-based paint.
Application at lower temperatures, in high humidity or in poorly ventilated areas will affect dry time.
Clean Up & Disposal :
Clean equipment and paint spatters with warm, soapy water.
Dispose of contaminated absorbent, container and unused product in accordance with all current federal, state and local regulations.
To recycle or properly dispose of paint or primer in your community
This product contains chemicals known to the state of California to cause cancer, birth defects, or other reproductive harm.
If you scrape, sand, or remove old paint, you may release lead dust. LEAD IS TOXIC. EXPOSURE TO LEAD DUST CAN CAUSE SERIOUS ILLNESS, SUCH AS BRAIN DAMAGE, ESPECIALLY IN CHILDREN. PREGNANT WOMEN SHOULD ALSO AVOID EXPOSURE. Wear a NIOSH-approved respirator to control lead exposure. Clean up carefully with a HEPA vacuum and a wet mop.
USE ONLY WITH ADEQUATE VENTILATION
WARNING! IRRITANT! HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. CONTAINS ETHYLENE GLYCOL. Avoid contact with eyes. May cause eye, nose and throat irritation. Avoid breathing of dust, vapors or spray mist. Open windows and doors or use other means to ensure fresh air entry during application and drying. If you experience eye watering, headache, or dizziness, or if air monitoring demonstrates vapor / mist levels are above applicable limits, wear an appropriate, properly fitted respirator (NIOSH / MSHA TC 23C or equivalent) during and after application. Follow respirator manufacturer’s direction for respirator use. Close container after each use. Wash thoroughly after handling and before smoking and eating.
FIRST AID :
If swallowed, do not induce vomiting. Get medical attention immediately. If you experience difficulty in breathing, leave the area to obtain fresh air. If continued difficulty is experienced, get medical attention immediately. In case of eye contact, flush eyes immediately with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes and get medical attention.
KEEP FROM FREEZING. If frozen, let thaw at room temperature.
KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN!
: This product can expose you to chemicals including Trichloroethylene, which is known to the State of California to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. For more information, go to www.p65Warnings.ca.gov